The Ultimate Guide to Moving Into South Loop
May 18, 2017
Brought to you by Chicago’s Best South Loop Movers
South Loop literally offers something for everyone. It’s home to one of Chicago’s most famous parks, multiple prestigious museums, the pro football stadium, a nice little nature enclosure, and a section of artsy urban lofts and stores. When you live in South Loop, you can choose from almost any experience Chicago has to offer, and you’ll be central enough to easily access anything else you want. After your move, you’ll be free to discover your new favorite places right away: as your South Loop movers, we’ll have your stuff settled in your home base in no time.
As a South Loop resident, you’ll be joining 95,000 other men and women, who have an average age of 31 and average yearly income of $100k. The majority of South Loopers have a Bachelor’s Degree. Not many have children.
One of the first true residential neighborhoods in Chicago, South Loop was originally settled by very wealthy residents and immigrants in the working class. The wealthy’s homes, built in the second half of the 19th century, still stand on “Millionaire’s Row” (Prairie Ave) today. In the late 19th century, another area was dedicated to the printing industry: it’s now known as Printer’s Row. The area stopped thriving in the mid-20th century, but the city’s efforts to revivify it in the 1970s made South Loop the lively, varied place it is today.
Now you’ve got the gist, here are some highlights—and basics—we found to help you start your South Loop life.
Things to Do in South Loop
Best Restaurants in South Loop
- Pizza: All deliver.
1212 S Michigan Ave. | (312) 374-4459
805 S State St. | (773) 944-1492
1340 S Michigan Ave | (312) 842-1100
521 S Dearborn St. | (312) 939-1818
- Burgers: Burger Bar. Big-flavored chain with local focus.
1150 S Michigan Ave. | (312) 988-0162
- Thai: Opart Thai Restaurant. Michelin-approved. Delivers.
1906 S State St. | (312) 567-9898
- Spanish: Tapas Valencia. Also does brunch.
1530 S State St. | (312) 842-4444
- Italian: Gioco. Modern mainstay in a historic space.
1312 S Wabash Ave. | (312) 939-3870
- Polish/Italian: Flo & Santos. Bar-friendly spin on traditional dishes.
1310 S Wabash Ave. | (312) 566-9817
- Mexican: Flaco’s Tacos. Drink specials and vegan options.
725 S Dearborn St. | (312) 922-8226 (TACO)
- Brunch: The Bongo Room. Simple and fresh. Closes 2pm, no alcohol.
1152 S. Wabash Ave. | (312) 291-0100
- Classic American: Blackie’s South Loop. Satisfying food and drinks since 1939.
755 S Clark St. | (312) 786-1161
- Fine American: Acadia. Maine-inspired cuisine.
Best Bars in South Loop
- Beer and Music: Reggie’s. Venues, a rooftop, a record shop, and over 70 beer options.
2105 S State St. | (312) 949-0129
- Beer and Art: Baderbrau. Brewery with murals and pub snacks.
2515 S Wabash Ave. | (312) 890-2728
- Spirits: The Bureau Bar. Small space, bring your own food.
75 E 16th St | (312) 888-3156
- Community: Vice District Brewing Company. Microbrewery brings people together.
- Game Watch: Kasey’s Tavern. Beers, teams, and tables for all.
701 S. Dearborn St. | (312) 427-7992
- Karaoke: Brando’s Speakeasy. 1920s themed.
343 S Dearborn St. | (773) 216-3213 ·
- Intimate: M Lounge. Quiet and candlelit.
Grocery Stores in South Loop
Coffee Shops in South Loop
Pet Parks in South Loop
- D’Angelo Dog Park: Brick and gravel.
438 S. Franklin St.| Contact email@example.com for hours
- Grant Bark Park: Behind Park District Maintenance Building.
Columbus Dr & 11th St. | Daily 4:30am-11:30pm
- Coliseum Park Dog Run: Small area.
50 E 14th Pl. | Daily 6am-9pm
Gyms in South Loop
South Loop Local Post Office and Delivery
- US Postal Service
211 S Clark St. | M-F 6am-7pm
- US Post Office
100 W Randolph St. | M-F 8:30am-5pm
- US Post Office
2035 S State St | M-F 9am-6pm, Sat 9am-3:30pm
- UPS Store
47 W Polk St #100 | M-F 8:30am-6pm, Sat 9am-4pm
Dry Cleaners in South Loop
808 S Wabash Ave. | M-F 7am-7pm, Sat. 9am-5pm
- Happy Cleaners
321 S Michigan Ave. | M-F 7am-7pm
- Four Seasons Dry Cleaning and Tailoring
1550 S Indiana Ave #2 | M-F 7:30am-7pm, Sat. 8am-5pm
Parking in South Loop
This has been a tiny sampling of the great things you’ll experience at your new South Loop home. As a seasoned South Loop moving company, we’ve learned all about the staples and cool places in the area. We’re happy to share more!
As you’re planning your big move, cross one major thing off your to-do list, and book South Loop movers who’ll a take load of stress off your mind. Call us at New City Moving, and we’ll help you move safely, smoothly, and on-schedule, so you can settle right in and start living your greatest South Loop life.
Page Updated on November 16, 2018