The Ultimate Guide to Moving Into Pilsen
May 23, 2017
Brought to you by Chicago’s Best Pilsen Movers
Pilsen, on Chicago’s west side, is full of art. The neighborhood is known for its creative murals and unique, contemporary pieces displayed in public. A rich mix of cultures has thrived over the years in Pilsen so you’ll never be at a loss for local shops, restaurants, or interesting neighbors–and you’ll always discover a cool new sight on your way. As your Pilsen movers, we’ll help you add your own distinctive space to this colorful neighborhood.
Pilsen is already home to about 70,000 people, split evenly between woman and men, with an average age of 30. Here, people tend to live together: the average household includes about three people. Of 25,000 total homes, almost a third have children. The average yearly income is $49k, and education levels run across the board.
Originally settled by German and Irish immigrants in the 1840s, Pilsen was named decades later by a group from Bohemia (today the Czech Republic), who adopted the name from a major city in their home country. During World War I, more immigrant groups moved in to support labor needs, including the Mexicans who defined the neighborhood in the mid-20th century. Mexican residents in the 1950s and 60s began creating Pilsen’s distinctive murals to commemorate their history and culture. Today, Pilsen is recognized for its community focus and creative spirit.
Now you’ve got the gist, here are some highlights—and basics—we found to help you start your best Pilsen life.
Things to Do in Pilsen
Best Restaurants in Pilsen
- Thai: Bodhi Thai Bistro. Delivers.
1800 S Jefferson St. | (312) 492-8424
- Mexican: Canton Regio. Big portions, family style, BYOB.
1510 W 18th St. | (312) 733-3045
- Tacos: Don Pedro Carnitas. Small shop, specializes in pork
1113 W 18th St. | (312) 829-4757
- Tamales: Dia de los Tamales. Farm-to-table focus, Day of the Dead decor.
939 W 18th St. Sangamon | (312) 496-3057
- Basics: Pollo Express. Chicken, rice and beans.
1315 W 18th St. | (312) 829-1550
- Southern USA: Honky Tonk BBQ. Live music.
1800 S. Racine Ave. | (312) 226-7427 (RIBS)
- Global: Pl-zen Gastrocantina. US comfort food with international flair.
1519 W 18 St. | (312) 733-0248
- Brunch: Azul 18. Closes 3pm, BYOB.
1236 W 18 St. | (312) 285-2964
- After the Show: Dusek’s Board and Beer. Classy menu served late. Next to Thalia.
1227 W. 18th Street | (312) 526-3851
- Late Night: Coyotes Restaurant. Open 24/7.
1451 W 18th St. | (312) 243-8550
- Dessert: La Michoacana. Ice cream, homemade popsicles, and snacks.
1855 S Blue Island Ave. | (708) 637-4075
Best Bars in Pilsen
- Cocktails: Punch House. In Thalia basement. Food served late.
1227 W 18th St. | (312) 526-3851
- Food: Del Toro. Authentic menu and unique drink options.
2133 S Halsted St. | (312) 733-7144
- Quirky: Simone’s Bar. Decor like none other.
960 W 18th St. | (312) 666-8601
- Dive: Skylark. Cash only, serves food.
2149 S Halsted St. | (312) 948-5275
- Outdoor: La Vaca Margarita Bar. Pitchers and a patio.
1160 W 18th St. | (312) 829-1147
- Intimate: Tack Room. Cocktails and wine with food pairings.
1807 S Allport St. | (312) 526-3851
- Dancing: Harbee’s Liquor and Tavern. Huge beer menu.
1345 W 18th St. | (312) 733-0333
Grocery Stores in Pilsen
Coffee Shops in Pilsen
Pet Parks in Pilsen
Gyms in Pilsen
Pilsen Local Post Office and Delivery
Dry Cleaners in Pilsen
Blue Island Cleaners
1847 S Blue Island Ave.| Daily 6am-10pm
- UIC Village Cleaners
1618 S Halsted St. | Daily 6am-10pm, Sat. 8am-5pm
Parking in Pilsen
- Contact Ward 25 for resident parking information
This has been a tiny sampling of the great things you’ll experience at your new Pilsen home. As a seasoned Pilsen moving company, we’ve learned all about the staples and cool places in the area. We’re happy to share more!
As you’re planning your big move, cross one major thing off your to-do list, and book Pilsen movers who’ll a take load of stress off your mind. Call us at New City Moving, and we’ll help you move safely, smoothly, and on-schedule, so you can settle right in and start living your greatest Pilsen life.
Page Updated on November 16, 2018