The Ultimate Guide to Moving Into Bridgeport
July 27, 2017
Brought to you by Chicago’s Best Bridgeport Movers
For a vibrant, accessible, and down-to-earth neighborhood that’s just a few stops away from the heart of the city, you can’t do much better than Bridgeport. Located a little southwest of downtown, Bridgeport features a range of local restaurants, a thriving alternative art scene, and one of the most ethnically diverse communities of all Chicago neighborhoods. As your go-to Bridgeport movers, we’ll help you settle right in to your new home, so you can quickly become part of this area’s long history.
About 60,000 people live in Bridgeport, with a few more men than women. Almost 40% have immigrated from other countries. People in Bridgeport tend to live in multi-person households, and roughly a quarter of households have kids. The median income is $36k per year.
Bridgeport was settled in the 1830s by Irish workers, who were given rights to buy the land near the Erie Canal, which they helped build. Other European immigrant groups moved in throughout the 19th century, while communities from Mexico and China arrived in the years that followed. All these cultures, and more, have left their mark on Bridgeport today.
Now you’ve got the gist, here are some highlights—and basics—we found to help you start your best Bridgeport life.
Things to Do in Bridgeport
- Palmisano Park: Repurposed quarry with trails, fields, and fishing pond.
- McGuane Park: Sports fields, swimming pool and community spaces.
- Bridgeport Art Center: Multi-disciplinary work spaces, exhibits and event venues.
- Co-Prosperity Sphere: “Experimental cultural center” for arts and education.
- Let’s Boogie Records and Tapes: Music and movies in multiple formats.
Best Restaurants in Bridgeport
- Pizza: Punky’s Pizza and Pasta. Delivers.
- Mexican: Antique Taco. Happy hour specials.
- Chinese: Han 202. Detail-driven prix fixe.
605 W 31 St.| (312) 949-1314
- Korean-Polish: Kimski. Counter-service street food.
- Mediterranean: Zaytune Mediterranean Grill. Fresh ingredients, delivers.
- Brunch: Nana. Mexican, American, organic. Other meals, too.
- Diner: George’s Restaurant. Casual variety for the whole family.
3445 S Halsted St. | (773) 247-4770
- Dessert: 26th Street Sugar Shack. All kinds of sundaes.
Best Bars in Bridgeport
- Cocktails: The Duck Inn. Paired with full cutting-edge food menu.
- Beer: Mitchell’s Tap. Wide selection, patio, and year-round communal events.
3356 S Halsted St. 773-927-6073
- Music: Bernice’s Tavern. Cozy space with open mic nights.
3238 S Halsted St. | (312) 961-5516
- Local: Maria’s Packaged Goods and Community Bar. Liquor store and tavern. Serves food from Kimski’s, above.
Grocery Stores in Bridgeport
- Mariano’s: Groceries and prepared food
- Cermak Fresh Market: Local chain, global selection.
- Martinez Supermarket: Mexican focus.
3301 S. Morgan St. | (773) 254-4048
Coffee Shops in Bridgeport
- Bridgeport Coffee House: Tin-ceiling space attached to roastery.
1328 S Halsted St. | (312) 489-5127
- Jackalope Coffee and Tea House: Sandwiches and colorful decor.
Gio’s Cafe and Deli: Sicilian. BYOB.
2724 S Lowe Ave. | (312) 225-6368
Pet Parks in Bridgeport
- Palmisano Park. Dog friendly areas.
- McGuane Park. Dog friendly areas.
2901 S. Poplar Ave. | Daily 6-11pm
Gyms near Bridgeport
- Charter Fitness: Equipment, personal and group training.
- Bridgeport Athletics: Personal training and Crossfit.
Bridgeport Local Post Office and Delivery
- United States Post Office
4101 S Halsted St. | M-F 9am-6pm, Sat 9am-2pm
- The UPS Store
3231 S Halsted St. | M-F 8:30am-7pm, Sat 9am-5pm
Dry Cleaners in Bridgeport
Archer Cleaners2556 S Archer Ave.| M-Sat 7am-7pm, Sun 9am-2pm
Xxpress Cleaners3026 S Halsted St. | M-Sat 7am-7pm
- Spring Fresh Cleaners
525 W 31st St. | M-F 7am-7pm, Sat 8am-6pm
Parking in Bridgeport
- Visit the Ward 11 site for information
This has been a tiny sampling of the great things you’ll experience at your new Bridgeport home. As a seasoned Bridgeport moving company, we’ve learned all about the staples and cool places in the area. We’re happy to share more!
As you’re planning your big move, cross one major thing off your to-do list, and book Bridgeport movers who’ll a take load of stress off your mind. Call us at New City Moving, and we’ll help you move safely, smoothly, and on-schedule, so you can settle right in and start living your greatest Bridgeport life.
Learn More About Moving in Chicago
- The Ultimate Guide to Moving Into Bronzeville
- The Ultimate Guide to Moving Into Bucktown
- The Ultimate Guide to Moving Into Buena Park
- The Ultimate Guide to Moving Into Chinatown
- The Ultimate Guide to Moving Into Edgewater
Page Updated on November 16, 2018