One Month Prior to Move Day
- Call New City Moving and reserve your requested move date. If you are moving in the summer, you may want to call New City 1-2 months in advance to ensure availability on your desired date.
- Notify the post office to obtain a change of address.
- Notify your health care physician, dentist, and other service providers.
- Order moving supplies. New City Moving offers reasonable pricing and free delivery in Chicago with minimum box purchase. Call for more information!
- Donate your unwanted items. The Salvation Army of Chicago will pick items up at no charge.
- Schedule your elevator slot, reserve the loading dock, and parking space reservations for move day at both the pickup and delivery locations.
- Begin packing; clearly mark boxes with a marker indicating which room they will be going into at delivery. This will save you money by reducing the amount of time the movers will be at your location.
Two Weeks Prior to Move Day
- Notify the Chicago DMV
- Notify utility companies, as applicable:
- Telephone – At&t, Comcast, RCN
- Cell Phone – At&t, Sprint, Tmobile, US Cellular, Verizon, Virgin Mobile, Tracphone, Boost Mobile
- Electric – ComEd
- Gas – Peoples Gas
- Cable – At&t, Comcast, RCN, DirectTV, Dish Network
- Internet Service Provider – At&t, Comcast, RCN, Earthlink, Road Runner
- Water – Chicago Water Management
- Home Security or Alarm – Brinks, ADT
- Arrange disassembly of larger items such as pool tables, swing sets, etc.
- Make parking permits arrangements, where applicable. With New City Moving your personal move consultant can advise you how to proceed with this.
- Make arrangements for a babysitter and/or pet boarding on the move day, if needed. Petsmart offers boarding services, for more information check out the Petsmart Petshotel.
- Dedicate time off from work to prepare for the move and to be present on move day.
One Week Prior to Move Day
- Confirm move date and time with your moving company. With New City, your personal move consultant will contact you 2-3 days prior to the move to ensure that all details are accurate for move day.
- Provide moving company with new telephone number or cellular phone number in case we need to contact you while en route.
- Remove fragile and loose items from drawers and pack carefully in small moving boxes or advise your movers to pack these items separately.
- Change address with all newspapers, magazine subscriptions, and other items you subscribe to.
- Create a list of friends and family to mail or email new address and contact details.
One Day Prior to Move Day
- Section off boxes of fragile items to one area of your home. Alert our movers about these boxes on move day.
- Distinguish furniture that is fragile prepare to bring it to the attention of our moving crew.
- Let our movers know which items in the location are NOT coming along for the trip.
- Remove checkbook, house/car keys, passports, cash, credit/debit cards and prescription medications. We suggest that items like these should travel with our customer on move day.
- Confirm that telephones are functional at new location and cell phones are charged.
- Defrost, drain, wash, and dry refrigerators and freezers.
- Drain gas and oil from lawn mowers, motorcycles, snow blowers, etc.
- Disconnect propane tank from gas grill. Your New City moving crew will not be able to carry these items on the moving truck, but we will assist you in loading them into and out of your person vehicle.