The Ultimate Guide To Moving Into West Loop
April 27, 2017
Brought to you by Chicago’s Best West Loop Movers
Next door to Chicago’s main hub, West Loop is a classy, bustling neighborhood that’s always full of surprises–and new construction. A big business hub in its own right, West Loop is defined by its refurbished industrial spaces. When you’re moving to West Loop, chances are you’re heading for both a home and a workplace that feature some exposed brick and a pipe or two. You’ll also enjoy a huge assortment of stores, galleries, night life, and literally any kind of restaurant you can think of, from retro dives to destination dining.
The 35,000 West Loop residents are an equal split of men and women. The vast majority are singles at the average age of 30. They’re educated to college level or beyond, and tend to have professional jobs – often in artsy, industrial loft offices. In the scheme of things, these West Loopers today are very new to the neighborhood.
Through the late 19th century, as the West Loop area was built from factories and warehouses, it saw dramatic labor disputes as workers fought for better conditions. Over the years, tensions among various groups lingered. The University of Illinois shook things up when it opened a new campus in 1961. New businesses and high income residents followed, so that in the 1980s, West Loop started becoming the trendily-distressed neighborhood it is today.
Now you’ve got the gist, here are some highlights—and basics—we found to help you start your West Loop life.
Things to Do in West Loop
Best Restaurants in West Loop
- Pizza: Forno Rosso. Delivers Neapolitan-style.
1048 W Randolph St. | (312) 243-6000
- Japanese: Ramen Takeya. Dine in or carry out.
819 W Fulton Market | (312) 666-7710
- Brazilian: La Sirena Clandestina. Dinner, brunch, and a true Chicago twist.
954 W Fulton Market | 312.226.5300
- Global: The Girl and Goat. Everyone’s talking about it.
809 W Randolph St. | (312) 492 6262
- Barbeque: Green Street Smoked Meats. Communal seating and cocktail pitchers.
112 N Green St. | (312) 754-0431
- Spicy Chicken: Nando’s Peri-Peri. Can be mild, too. Eat quick or linger with drinks.
953 W Randolph St. | (312) 488-3062
- Vegetarian: Bad Hunter. All about vegetables.
802 W. Randolph St. | (312) 265-1745
- Brunch: The Allis. Lighter and vegetarian options, all day.
113 – 125 N Green St. | (312) 521-8000
- Wine and Music: City Winery. Local wine, world-class concerts.
1200 W Randolph St. | (312) 733-9463
Best Bars in West Loop
- Cocktails: Two vintage-hip ladies serving killer mixes
The Betty. 839 W Fulton Market | (312) 733-2222
Maude’s Liquor Bar. 840 W Randolph St. | (312) 243-9712
- Beer Only: Goose Island Tap Room. Brewery tours.
1800 W Fulton St. | 1 (800) 466-7363 (GOOSE ME)
- Beer with Food: Jaks Tap. Delivers.
901 W Jackson Blvd. | (312) 666-1700
- Vodka: CH Distillery. Unique flavors with perfect food pairings.
564 W Randolph St. | (312) 707-8780
- Happy Hour: Moneygun. A place to unwind and enjoy.
660 W Lake St. | 312-600-0600
- Pre-Dinner: Lone Wolf. On “Restaurant Row.”
806 W Randolph St. | (312) 600-9391
Grocery Stores in West Loop
Coffee Shops in West Loop
Gyms in West Loop
- Crosstown Fitness: Group fitness and personal training.
1031 W Madison St. | (312) 550-1063
- West Loop Athletic Club: Group fitness, indoor pool.
1380 W Randolph St. | (312)-850-4667
- FFC West Loop: Spa services, childcare, indoor and outdoor pools.
10 S. Clinton St. | (312) 902-2040
Pet Parks in West Loop
- Skinner Park: Six Flags for dogs.
17 S Loomis St. | Daily 6am-11pm
- West Loop Dog Park: Concrete based.
100 S Peoria St.| Daily 9am-10pm
West Loop Local Post Office and Delivery
- US Post Office
168 N Clinton St. | M-F 9am-6pm
- US Postal Service
100 W Randolph St. | M-F 8:30am-5pm
- UPS Store
917 W Washington Blvd. | M-F 8am-7pm, Sat. 10am – 4pm, Sun. 12pm – 4pm
Dry Cleaners in West Loop
Clean As A Whistle Cleaners
836 W Adams St # 1| M-F 7am-7pm, Sat. 8:30am-5:30pm
- Madison Cleaners
1159 W Madison St. | M-F 7am-7pm, Sat. 8am-6pm
- Lotus Cleaners
291 N Union Ave. | M-F 7am-6:30pm, Sat. 8am-3pm
Parking in West Loop
This has been a tiny sampling of the great things you’ll experience at your new West Loop home. As a seasoned West Loop moving company, we’ve learned all about the staples and cool places in the area. We’re happy to share more!
As you’re planning your big move, cross one major thing off your to-do list, and book West Loop movers who’ll a take load of stress off your mind. Call us at New City Moving, and we’ll help you move safely, smoothly, and on-schedule, so you can settle right in and start living your greatest West Loop life.
Page Updated on November 16, 2018